Review: Pretty Reckless, L. J. Shen



Pretty Reckless, an all-new standalone high school, bully romance from USA Today bestselling L. J. Shen is available now!

We were supposed to be best friends
But turned out to be worst enemies…

Penn
They say revenge is a dish best served cold.
I’d had four years to stew on what Daria Followhill did to me, and now my heart is completely iced.
I took her first kiss.
She took the only thing I loved.
I was poor.
She was rich.
The good thing about circumstances? They can change. Fast.
Now, I’m her parents’ latest shiny project.
Her housemate. Her tormentor. The captain of the rival football team she hates so much.
Yeah, baby girl, say it—I’m your foster brother.
There’s a price to pay for ruining the only good thing in my life, and she’s about to shell out some serious tears.
Daria Followhill thinks she is THE queen. I’m about to prove to her that she’s nothing but a spoiled princess.

Daria
Everyone loves a good-old, unapologetic punk.
But being a bitch? Oh, you get slammed for every snarky comment, cynical eye roll, and foot you put in your adversaries’ way.
The thing about stiletto heels is that they make a hell of a dent when you walk all over the people who try to hurt you.
In Penn Scully’s case, I pierced his heart until he bled out, then left it in a trash can on a bright summer day.
Four years ago, he asked me to save all of my firsts for him.
Now he lives across the hall, and there’s nothing I want more than to be his last everything.
His parting words when he gave me his heart were that nothing in this world is free.
Now? Now he is making me pay.


Add to GoodReads: http://bit.ly/2FZssQ7


Download your copy today for the special release week price of ONLY $2.99 or read FREE in Kindle Unlimited → http://mybook.to/PrettyRecklessLJ


REVIEW
Lord have mercy. L. J. Shen KNOWS how to write an emotional read like no other. Daria and Penn completely shattered my heart into million pieces right from the freaking prologue. What the hell was this... I don't think a character had me crying as much as Daria did through out the whole book, this girl... oh how I understood her and could relate to some of what she was feeling. I fell for her HARD. I love a broken hero story but I haven't read a broken heroine book like this one EVER and I just felt so much for Daria, my heart beats were on hold until the last page.

This book made me feel everything, all the emotions, all the words and all the actions. It pulled me in from the very first sentence and I could not stop reading until things were okay for this sweet broken girl. Daria is so missunderstood and she hides behind a b*tch mask to hide her real feelings but her heart, her heart is so big and she feels so much. My poor sweet girl hiding her love behind cruel words and cool clothes.

Penn, I did love him but not as much as Daria which for me is a first. Penn blames Daria for ruining his life because it's easier to hate her then love her. It's been years since the moment they shared when they were kids that ended imploding their lives as they knew it but now everything imploded again and they are forced to live under the same roof... and now, now it's much harder to hate her... knowing who she really is, seeing her struggle with her family, her friends, with herself. Their attraction is off the charts and pulls them closer every day, their hateful exchanges turn into meanful conversations, their kisses turn into more and soon it's impossible to deny that what they always fought happened.

But it's much more complicated than that...there are way too many variables at play for them to simply fall into a relationship. Daria's relationship with her mom, all the secrets she's hidden, ASH Principal, Penn's sister, the rival football teams and their fights, everyone plays a part in the mess that is Daria and Penn's story and everyone makes it a little harder to solve their problems.

Daria and Mel's relationship broke my heart. I kind of hated Mel a little and was a little put off by Jamie not doing anything so I'm super glad that Shen wrote that Mel chapter because it made me see the other side of the equation and I needed that. And Jamie.. my baby, he loved his little girl so much. <3

I loved getting to know Knight, Vaugh and Luna and I cannot wait for their books. This series will be the best thing ever. It's written in the stars. Each of these kids is special just like their parents were, maybe even more so. I'm so ready for all the angst, all the drama the next books will have. I'm so damn curious about Vaugh and cannot wait to read Knight's book, will or will he not win Luna over? ahhhh!

ASH is going to be an epic series and Pretty Reckless started it off so right. Shen gave us all the angst, all the heart, all the feels, the drama, the fights and the most amazing moments. These kids, wow... I love a good YA with loads of high school drama but this school, this book was so much more than what you can expect, SO MUCH MORE. I was living for it but at the same time I was almost dead. The emotions this lady brought out of me, the stress of not knowing what was gonna happen, the suspense, the fear for these two characters, the freaking angst, ahh! My heart could barely take it. I'm here I'm alive but I honestly don't know how. I'm ready for more though!

Thank you L. J. Shen for the most amazing birthday gift I could ask for. I loved getting lost in these characters and being wrecked by their story. Emotional reads are my favorite and you obliterated this one. This book and these characters are so damn special. With every new book you write, I'm more amazed with your talent and your brain. This one is for sure a new favorite. Pretty Reckless will stick with me forever.


About LJ Shen:
L.J. Shen is an International #1 best-selling author of Contemporary Romance and New Adult novels. She lives in Northern California with her husband, young son and chubby cat.
Before she’d settled down, L.J. (who thinks referring to herself in the third person is really silly, by the way) traveled the world, and collected friends from all across the globe. Friends who’d be happy to report that she is a rubbish companion, always forgets people's’ birthdays and never sends Christmas cards.
She enjoys the simple things in life, like spending time with her family and friends, reading, HBO, Netflix and internet-stalking Stephen James. She reads between three to five books a week and firmly believes Crocs shoes and mullets should be outlawed.



Connect with L.J. Shen:
Stay up to date with L.J. Shen by signing up for her mailing list:

Comments

Popular Posts