Wish You Were Here by Renée Carlino Review

Title: Wish You Were Here
Author: Renée Carlino
Publication Date: August 15, 2017
Genre: Contemporary Romance, New Adult

Can I just say, before I jump into my review, that I have always loved Renée Carlino's books? I really did. I'll read anything by her, no blurb needed, no anything needed. But this book didn't start so good for me. I wasn't getting that into the story, it's not that it was slow paced, it wasn't that, a lot was happening in the book but I just didn't connect with it instantly and to be honest Charlotte was irritating me to no end. I didn't like her much from the beginning nor did I like her bff and how she fell head over heels in love with a guy in a couple of hours in which she just happens to be drunk off her ass. Yeah that was one #instalove I did not enjoy.

So yeah I wasn't liking the book very much in the beginning and that scared me because this was Renée and Renée's books always got to me. I had heard so many good things about this book and it was just not working for me for like the first 50% of the book and I was a little disappointed with that. But I kept reading of course, you must know I hate leaving things unfinished but I would have kept reading this no matter what because I refused to believe I was not gonna like this book. And well, I was freaking right! At a little past 50% of the book, it happened, Adam came back and well it ruined me but completely changed my experience with this book. I started falling in love with it.

 I don't want to give any spoilers but I think some things might be obvious with what I'm about to say, so if you do not want any kind of spoilers jump a little ahead and just read the blurb of the book.

So... if you must know there are two guys Charlotte involves herself with but in no way is this a love triangle. I know it sounds impossible for it not to be but it seriously isn't, and if you don't find that intriguing I don't know what is wrong with you, but something is! What's even more awesome is that they are both really good, sweet and sexy guys. Adam is a beautiful, sexy painter with which Charlotte instantly shares a deep connection and with who she also shares a very passionate One Night Stand but when morning comes Adam doesn't seem so perfect anymore. My heart hurts just thinking about him and all his glory. 

Then there's Seth who is a baseball player done with groupies and looking for something real and he seems to think he found it with Charlotte but she's not over her ONS with Adam and she needs to know what happened with him on the morning after. Once she does find out, well it alters her life completely and forever. And although she goes through a lot, that changes who she is completely, she becomes a much better person in my opinion and much more pleasant. Charlotte's connection and relationship with Adam is so perfect, no matter how little time they know each other and spend together, their love is so great and so beautiful. Adam turns out to be the most amazing romantic guy and I just wish his fate had been different. However, Seth is a pretty great guy too, he's sweet and he really likes Charlotte and she's damn lucky to have found two amazing guys who love her fiercely. 

I'm not gonna say no more because I don't want to spoil anymore than I might already have for those of you who haven't given this book a read. 

 A little warning: This book is heartbreaking, my heart still hurts after reading this and it's been 2 days. Although it is that kind of heartbreak that hurts so good! (At least for me, this is my kind of book.) Even though the book is heartbreaking do not worry your little heart out, this is definitely an HEA, just might not be the HEA you wished for.


Rate: 4 / 5 stars - I'm giving this 4 stars because even though I LOVED the second part of the book, the first half was mehh. I do recommend this book though, the second half of it made up for the rest and I really enjoyed getting my heart broken by yet another Renée Carlino book.




Blurb: Charlotte has spent her twenties adrift, floating from interest to interest, job to job, and guy to guy, searching for a spark but never quite finding it. All she knows is that she won’t discover it working as a waitress at a pies-and-fries joint in Los Angeles or living with her fun but aimless best friend in a tiny apartment in the Arts District.


Then Charlotte collides with Adam, a gorgeous and soulful painter who seems just as lost as she feels. Their instant connection turns into a midnight drink… and a whirlwind night of champagne, Chinese food, and the kind of conversation that only happens in romantic comedies. But the next morning, Adam gives Charlotte the cold shoulder, leaving her confused and hurt—and wondering if the few odd moments between them the night before were red flags in disguise.

Months later, Charlotte hasn’t been able to shake Adam, so she decides to find out what happened the morning after their magical night together. This fateful decision rewrites their wild love story, but what Charlotte doesn’t know yet is that the ending has already been written.





Let me share a little of Adam's perfectness with you:

“Wham, bam, thank you, ma’am. I don’t even get a cuddle?”

Just a side note: I'm literally in tears again from reading these quotes. He's so perfect and I'm so sad. I swear after I finished the book, it took me hours to fall asleep because it was so bittersweet. Even though it was HEA, I was deeply sad, I still can't get over some of the events in this book. It was that kind of book.

“That’s what happens when you live it well, right? When you have someone to love? It goes by fast. You blink and it’s over.” “You’re making love sound tragic,” I said. “No”—he shook his head—“I wouldn’t want it any other way. Tell me about us. What do we like to do?”

“I can imagine a long life with you,” he said. “I can imagine what a great wife you’d be. You’re going to make someone a very happy husband.” 

" (...) And when I was with you, I felt more alive than ever before.” When we reached the car, he wiped tears from my face. “Because you are good, Charlotte. You’re a good person and you see the good in other people. You care. You brightened the darkest time of my life.”

Charlotte is pretty awesome too and I know I said that I literally didn't like but there's a Charlotte before Adam and there's a Charlotte after Adam. You'll see how much he changed her.. it's amazing. 

“Please don’t ruin the time we have.” I turned to face him. “I love you. That’s not a story. That’s not a lie.”

“Till death do us part is for quitters. I promise to love you forever. As long as there is love in this world, we will be a part of it.”




Comments

Popular Posts