Review: Pretty Venom, Ella Fields

Blurb
Callum Welsh perfected the art of hating me when we were two kids who believed we’d be forced into marriage.
He thought I wanted it, but my only wish had been for him to leave me alone.
Then one afternoon, he stole my first kiss.
Despite all he’d done, everything changed after that.
As the years passed, our hearts thawed, and he no longer hated me.
In fact, he loved me enough to make me his wife.
Until I ruined everything with one stupid mistake.
That hatred returned in the form of cruel words and even crueler deeds.
But we weren’t kids anymore.
I could handle his brand of venom.
He would be mine again, even if it cost me the remains of my heart.
Warning: contains cheating and an anti-hero who might make you throw your kindle.

Add to Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39779897-pretty-venom
Amazon US: https://amzn.to/2n2L322
Amazon UK: https://amzn.to/2v941IN
REVIEW
Callum Welsh is my new favorite antihero. I don't how Ella does it, but she makes me fall in love with all her characters no matter how many mistakes they make, no matter how much of a A-hole they are. She does it every single time! And I loveeeee it!

Enough. I’d had enough. He could do what he wanted. I would not back down, but I wouldn’t retaliate anymore either. His brand of assholery had a ricochet effect. Affecting other things in my life, piece by little piece.


I met Callum and Renee in Suddenly Forbidden and then you only get a little of what happened between them, they appear again in Bittersweet Always and you get a little more of the two but never enough. I have been wanting these two's story since I read the last word in Suddenly Forbidden. Even though the characters appear in the other two books, you can read it as standalone.

I needed this story and now I finally got it. And it was EVERYTHING AND MORE.
From the little glimpses we had of them in the other two books I always knew there would be more to these two as individuals than what they appeared to be to the other characters but BOY I was not expecting to love their story so fiercely.

“Ugh, you’re infuriating.” Warmth fanned over my cheek as I felt his body step close to mine. “Could make for some seriously hot chemistry.” I went to shove him back when his lips brushed over my skin. “You smell like peaches.” “And you smell like an asshole. Get off me.” He stepped back, chuckling again. “Later, Mini Mouse.” 


I loved that we got to see how they met and started dating. Enemies to lovers is one of my favorite tropes ever and these two were glorious. Callum god damn I wanted to hurt him a lot of times. But I also had a lot of fun watching them in their little war, it was entertaining and there was no mistaking their chemistry. Oh boy their first kiss *swoon* and hot damn. I just fell completely madly in love with these characters, even when I sort of hated one or both of them.


“I’ve wanted to kiss you since I met you.” I guffawed. “You’ve hated me since you met me.” Pulling me to him, he surveyed me carefully as he set his hands on my hips. I let him, unsure why, unsure of anything at that moment. “I didn’t know you,” he said, “but you got under my skin.” “You still don’t know me,” I whispered, my voice thick. Grabbing my chin, he lowered his head. “I know enough to know I’ve been an idiot, and anything else I find out about you is just a bonus.”


Their love was an epic one. Even despite their start and the mistake that separated them, their love for one another never once wavered, it still burned hot and strong no matter how much they hurt each other. And they did that a lot. They both made mistakes and those mistakes has sever consequences.


“You’re beautiful, inside and out.” “I know I’m not perfect. I can be a real selfish bitch.” He didn’t deny it, which only made my lips tilt. “Yes, but you’re honest. You haven’t changed; you’ve grown. You’re yourself. The bad, the good, and the unbearably beautiful. Combined, they make you something anyone would covet.”


He might have been the sun I couldn’t help but orbit around, but he didn’t warm me anymore. Instead, he’d made it his mission to leave me locked inside the chilled shadows of our past.


Can we talk about Renee for a sec? She just might be one my favorite new female characters. I loved her, even when I didn't agree with some of her actions. She was a fierce, strong, take charge woman with a weakness and that was weakness was no other than Callum and her love for him. That weakness made her do questionable things but she was willing to do everything to get the love of her life back, even if that meant degrading and hurting herself deeper in the process.

Now.. Callum Welsh? He is the purest asshole. But we love him anyway. It's true that he did so many things to hurt Renee but he, and we all, thought she deserved it after what she did. He did it because he loved her so much and she broke him. But he also never even gave her a chance to explain anything, he just cut her out of his life and then did everything to hurt her, even using her later. He was a dick to her but Renee herself did nothing but let him. And damn, it hurt to even watch.
It was brutal and hear-wrenching watching these two apart and hurting each other.

They’d wrecked me. Annihilated any shred of what once was. I belong with you, and you only. Vows were useless words. They meant nothing, especially not to her. She was a liar. A beautiful, manipulative liar. Deep down, I’d always known what she was capable of. I just never thought she’d set her sights on destroying me.


Pretty Venom was phenomenal! Ella's writing just gets better and better with each new release and she honestly writes the best books and best characters. I am in love with this series to the point I think it joined my all time favorites list, and I never thought that when I gave Suddenly Forbidden, a book with cheating a chance, that I would be sitting here today saying this but I am. I fell in love with Ella's words and her beautiful characters and the world of Gray Springs University. And I'm sad to say goodbye, even though I know I'll be revisiting these characters again and again.


“Stay with me. Please.” A stuttered breath trembled past my lips. “For how long?” “I’d like to say forever, but I’ll settle for this week.” 


Ella Fields writes angst like none other and I live for her words.


“Wouldn’t it be nice,” she mused when I just stared at the opposite wall, “to be as untouchable as we wished we were.” Her voice lowered, eyes gentling as I met her gaze. “You’re allowed to make yourself vulnerable again. Especially for the right people.”


“I’ve gotta say, I don’t know if there’d be a guy who’d look as happy as you do, knowing he can’t play ball until next season.” “Other things matter more.”


I also just have to say that I wish I could say that Rallum is my new favorite GS's couple but I HONESTLY can't. I swear, and it's kind of a first for me, that I love all 3 couples equally and can't choose between my babies. All 3 of them hold a dear place in my heart.

If you have yet to meet these babes, please give it a read! So so worth it! And if you're apprehensive about the cheating, give it a try anyway please, I promise it will be so so worth it. And if you honestly can't do book with cheating, no matter how little there is, than read Bittersweet Always because there is no cheating in that one and Toby and Pippa are the real deal!

“How a year can pass and not much changes.” I grunted, the sound followed by a cold chuckle. “Wrong, Mouse.” My eyes swung to hers, ignoring the way they sparkled with hope. “Everything that matters changes. It just takes some longer than others to realize it.”



Rate: 5 beautiful bows
About Ella Fields
Ella Fields is a mother and wife who lives in the land Down Under. While her kids are in school, you might find her talking about her characters and books to her two cats. She’s a notorious chocolate and notebook hoarder who enjoys creating hard-won happily ever afters.


Join her reader group for exclusive content and giveaways: https://bit.ly/2yeoTyq

Comments

Popular Posts